Fall apart, tender, braised beef shank. Full of flavor from the marrow in bone. Pairs perfectly with a big red wine.
- 3 LBS RAIKES BEEF OSSO BUCO MEAT
- 2 OZ. RAIKES BEEF MUSHROOM SALT (OR SALT AND PEPPER)
- 1/4 CUP FLOUR
- 1/4 CUP BUTTER OR DUCK FAT
- 2 CLOVES GARLIC, CRUSHED
- 1 LARGE ONION, CHOPPED
- 2 LARGE CARROTS, CHOPPED
- 2/3 CUP WHITE WINE
- 2/3 CUP BEEF STOCK
- 1-14.5 OZ CAN DICED FIRE ROASTED TOMATOES
- 1/2 CUP CHOPPED FRESH PARSLEY
- 1 CLOVE GARLIC, MINCED
- 2 TSP FRESHLY GRATED LEMON PEEL
- (MIX TOGETHER IN BOWL)
Dust meat with flour and season with mushroom salt on both sides of meat.
Melt butter or duck fat (if using) in large skillet over medium heat.
Add meat and brown on both sides.
Remove meat from pan, set aside.
Add onion and garlic to pan; cook until onion is soft.
Return meat to pan and add carrots and wine. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes and beef stock.
Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender, but not falling off the bone.
Serve Osso Buco on a bed of polenta or mashed potatoes, top with gremolata.