All the flavors of a Philly cheese steak stuffed into a bite sized meatball. Drizzled with a rich cheese sauce...oh yum!
- 2 LB RAIKES PREMIUM GROUND BEEF
- 1/2 GREEN BELL PEPPER, FINELY CHOPPED
- 1/2 RED BELL PEPPER, FINELY CHOPPED
- 4-5 BABY PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS, FINELY CHOPPED
- 1/2 SWEET WHITE ONION, FINELY CHOPPED
- 2 TBSP GARLIC, MINCED
- 2 TBSP WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- 1 EGG
- 1/2 CUP BREADCRUMBS
- 1/3 CUP GRUYERE, GRATED (PROVOLONE WOULD BE GOOD TOO)
- 2 TBSP BUTTER
- 1 TBSP FLOUR
- 1/2 - 1 CUP MILK (2% OR WHOLE)
- 4 OZ WHITE AMERICAN CHEESE
- 1/3 CUP GRUYERE, GRATED (OR PROVOLONE)
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- BUNCH PARSLEY, CHOPPED (FOR GARNISH)
Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl add the ground beef through the grated cheese. Mix well to incorporate all the ingredients. Form into roughly ounce balls and place on sheet pan (yielding 32 meatballs), or your desired size.
Place sheet pan in the oven and cook for 18-20 minutes until cooked through. You could also cook in a skillet, rotating until all sides are brown.
Now to make the best part, the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in sauce pan and add the flour, whisk until combined and smooth. This creates a roux which will thicken the sauce. Slowly pour in the milk, recommend only half a cup at first, stir to combine. Add in the Gruyere (or provolone) and American cheese and stir until melted and its incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If sauce is too thick add a little more of the remaining milk until you reached desired consistency.
Serve meatballs with rice, gnocchi or pasta. Drizzle with cheese sauce and garnish with parsley. Also can serve as an appetizer, either drizzle with the sauce or use it as a dip. Enjoy!